Tuesday 10 February 2015

My take on 'Pride and Prejudice'

I recently (finally!) read Pride and Prejudice and it was so beautifully romantic that I just got all excited about it and started telling everyone (even though they clearly weren't interested!)

I have always prided myself on having read a few classics; Jane Eyre and Little Women being my all time favourites, (the books and the films) and I decided that I needed to add some Austen to my repertoire! I was enthralled right from the start with their initial distaste for each other, Mr Darcy's infallible pride sealing his judgment of all of the women and Elizabeth's prejudice against Mr Darcy set in stone within the first hour of their meeting.

I read on, fascinated by the characters. 'Eliza' Bennet, witty, intelligent and slightly sarcastic, but uncharacteristically headstrong and stubborn for a woman of her age in the 19th Century which just caused me to love the character further. The infamously aloof Mr Darcy, in his struggle between upholding the correct and proper character for a man of his prestige and his growing attraction for the young Miss Bennet. Another character whom I  found particularly amusing was Lydia Bennet, Elizabeth's younger sister who was depicted as very flirty and flighty but also incredibly naive *spoilers* eventually running off with Mr Wickham and bring shame and disgrace upon her family.

The classic tale of two people who detest each other falling in love in a society where marriage was the ultimate goal for all young women swept me along. I was quite captivated as the story deepened, with the false stories and the hits and misses along the way, and the sheer romance of Mr Darcy's:
In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you. 
evoked so deep a sigh out of me that I was compelled to stop reading and just visualize the scene for a moment.

My favourite book at current, I highly recommend it to anyone who is as behind as I am on reading their classics, read the book before you watch the film (as I strongly believe everyone should!!) I'm off to read another - Sense and Sensibility!

No comments:

Post a Comment